At Home Support Services, Costs and Funding

At Home Support Services, Costs and Funding

What is At Home Support?

Bolton Clarke At Home Support is our range of practical, adaptable services to help you retain your independence at home. Whether you’re getting back on your feet after a hospital stay, would like a helping hand in the garden or need a lift to and from the shops, we’re here to help.

Bolton Clarke will work with you to create a personalised support plan that suits your circumstances, helps you stay involved in community activities and is flexible to change with your needs. At Bolton Clarke we like to use the term At Home Support, but it’s sometimes also referred to as Home Care, Home Care Packages, At Home Nursing, Community Services or Home Assistance.


As Australia’s most experienced provider of home care services, Bolton Clarke knows that the best quality support plan is one that we create by working closely with you.

We’re committed to helping you achieve the greatest independence and best quality of life possible. To do this, we’ll ask questions, listen carefully, and ensure you have the best mix of services you need. You’ll also have the peace of mind that comes with having 24/7 support whenever you need it.

Depending on the support plan you need and your funding eligibility, we’ll tailor our services to keep you living at home longer.

Our services include:

  • Support services: domestic assistance, transport, shopping, respite care and home safety services
  • Personal care: bathing, toileting, dressing and other daily activities
  • Clinical care: general and specialist nursing, as well as other health care services such as dementia and diabetes care
  • Specialised support: dietetics, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, speech pathology, mental health services and more
  • Skin care: wound management
  • Nutritional support: diet planning, meal preparation and feeding assistance
  • Continence management: assistance, products and equipment
  • Mobility: personal mobility aids and specialised equipment
  • Leisure interests and other activities: community activities, hobbies and lifestyle interests
  • Other specialised packages include short-term restorative care and after-hospital care (which may include transitional care).

Fees & charges

Depending on your personal circumstances, there are a range of funding options available when deciding which services you need.

Your age, the level of care you require and your financial circumstances can help you determine which of the following funding options will apply to you:

  • Government funded
  • Self-funded
  • A combination of both

Our fees vary depending on the type of service you need and the funding you’re eligible for. There are several Government funding options available, although if you’re receiving this funding, you may still be asked to contribute to the cost of our services, if you can afford to.

If you don’t meet the criteria for financial subsidy, you can still access our At Home Support services through our flexible fee for service payment options.

Payment Options

There are a number of state and federal government funded programs designed to support wellbeing and independence at home. These include the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP); Home Care Packages (HCP); Home And Community Care Program for Young People (HACC PYP – Victoria only); Department of Veteran’s Affairs programs (DVA) and various other funded programs.

Each program will have specific eligibility criteria, and for some, access may depend on your location. If you’re unsure which program you may be eligible for, or just want further information please call one of our friendly staff on 1300 22 11 22.

1. Home Care Package

There are four levels of care available through the Government’s Home Care Package funding, ranging from basic through to high level care. You’ll be assessed professionally, using a nationally consistent assessment framework.

Assessments are carried out by the federal government’s Aged Care Assessment Team. If you’re approved, they’ll then let you know what level of package you’re eligible for.

Depending on your individual needs, your level of care will range between:

  • Level 1: meeting basic care needs
  • Level 2: meeting low-level care needs
  • Level 3: meeting intermediate care needs
  • Level 4: meeting high-level care needs


Home Care Package funding is available to Australians of any age, whether you’re an older person who needs coordinated services to help you stay in your home or if you’re a younger person with a disability, dementia or other special care needs not being met by other specialist services.

2. Commonwealth Home Support Program

The Commonwealth Home Support Program offers a basic level of care to help you stay independent in your own home and in your community for longer. You can also access a wide range of services such as planned respite, meals and domestic assistance.

You’ll be assessed by an Aged Care Assessment team member, and your information registered with My Aged Care. If you’re eligible for services under the Program, you can tell your assessor which service provider you want to use, such as Bolton Clarke, and request a referral code. You can then discuss the specific services you’d like with us.


The Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) is available if you’re:

  • aged over 65, or over 50 years if you are of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander origin
  • aged over 50 and on a low income and homeless, or at risk of becoming homeless

3. HACC Programs (VIC and WA only)

In Victoria, the Home And Community Care Program for Young People (HACC PYP) provides basic support and maintenance services to help people with disabilities remain living at home as independently as possible.

In Western Australia the Home And Community Care Program (HACC) assists people of all ages with a disability with support services. Bolton Clarke can provide nursing and personal care support to ensure your needs are met to remain as independent as possible at home.


  • In Victoria the Home And Community Care Program for Young People is available if you’re a younger person with moderate, severe or profound disabilities and their unpaid carers.
  • In WA the Home And Community Care Program is available if you live in the community and have a long term disability that impacts on your independence and daily activities or if you’re the carer of a HACC eligible person.

4. Veterans Home Care (VHC)

If you’re a veteran, you may be eligible for funding from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) for services such as the Veterans’ Home Care Programme or community nursing programme.

To gain access to the Programme, the DVA looks at your eligibility, assessed needs and any other services being provided to you by other government programmes. You may also be eligible for the CHSP and a range of community and at home support services.


If you’re eligible for the Department of Veterans’ Affairs-funded services such as the Veterans’ Home Care Programme, community nursing, transport or respite, you could still receive services under the Commonwealth Home Support Programme, as long as you’re:

  • eligible for services
  • requiring entry-level support
  • not already being provided the same services elsewhere.

4. Fee for Service

You can always choose to access our services on a fee-for-service basis. On our first visit to you we’ll explain any fees upfront and the various ways you can choose to pay them. Alternatively, you can call us anytime to discuss this.


Our flexible fee for service payment option is available to everyone, regardless of your age, cultural ethnicity or country of origin.


If you’re an overseas visitor or only need temporary or short-term care, you may not be eligible for Commonwealth Government funding. However, you can still receive our At Home Support services through our flexible fee-for-service payment option.

Access for all

Bolton Clarke has a long history of working with and caring for people from many diverse cultures, religions and circumstances. This includes providing 24-hour language support via telephone to all non-English speaking clients via the Bolton Clarke Language Line, and providing tailored services for the LGBTI community and people who are homeless or financially disadvantaged.

How can we help you?

Bolton Clarke is here to help you with your retirement, aged and independent living needs. For more information on our services call us or send us an enquiry online.

Get in touch