Pearl Harbour memories still strong for nurse Mary

Pearl Harbour memories still strong for nurse Mary

For Bolton Clarke Baycrest, Hervey Bay residential aged care resident Mary, memories of the day Pearl Harbour was bombed in December, 1941 are as clear as ever.

Mary was born in 1921 and grew up in Honolulu, Hawaii, after her Army reserve officer father took a posting in Wahiawa in 1923.

By the start of World War II he had been recommissioned as a Colonel and taken charge of military transportation across the island. Mary had entered nurse training at the Queen’s Hospital School of Nursing.

On what she calls ‘that fateful day’, she had been given a Sunday off and was one of seven passengers and four children crowded into a taxi as events unfolded.

“The Japanese had already dropped their first bomb on Pearl Harbour and we could see black smoke up ahead, however we didn’t realise how serious the situation was until the military policemen turned us off the main road and into a back road through a cane field,” Mary recalls.

“Just as we were coming out of this road a single Japanese zero aircraft came towards our taxi, it was flying so low that we could clearly see the pilot as he dropped a bomb over the road we had just been driving down. “

She tells how the taxi driver, who was a Japanese Hawaiian, became very scared and stopped the car before trying to flee the scene. Another passenger had to pull him back into the vehicle.

“We later learned the pilot was not trying to bomb us, he was aiming for an ammunition storage dump burrowed in the side of the hills which he missed.

“On our way back we had to drive past Pearl Harbour. The battleship USS Arizona had already been destroyed and other ships were breaking up and burning.

“It was here that we also saw the horrors of war, there were sailors jumping off the ships into the burning oil on the surface of the water. It was truly a terrible sight.”

On her return home past the air force base Mary noticed all the planes on the tarmac had been destroyed. A radio announcement informed her that martial law had been invoked and war with Japan was declared.

“We were informed all nurses and medical personnel were requested to return to work immediately. When I reached the hospital, the wounded were already coming in,” she remembers.

“The beds were non-existent and the wounded were on stretchers in the verandahs, on the ground floor. Those requiring surgery had to be carried up five flights of stairs to the operating rooms as we were fearful of power failures and using the lifts.

“The hardest part about that day was treating the civilian victims, those who had been caught in the crossfire suffering from wounds and burns from misdirected bombs. I worked all through the day and night and when I finally returned home I collapsed from exhaustion.

“When I look back on those experiences I realised I should have been scared but I wasn’t.”

In March 1942 Mary boarded a military commanded cruise liner to evacuate people however the boat was overloaded and she remembers there were not enough life jackets to go around.

The journey took twice as long as it should have as the crew feared attacks from enemy submarines. The passengers were uncertain of their destination and it was only when the welcoming span of the Golden Gate Bridge appeared they realised they were headed for San Francisco, California.

She migrated to Australia in 1964 and moved first to Brisbane, in Queensland, and then further north to Cairns, where she met and married Jack McDonald.

You can hear Mary tell her story here.

Get articles like this direct to your inbox